Western Campus


Alumnae Hall


Built in 1890, this hall was the second oldest building on western campus until it was demolished in the summer of 1977.

According to Narka Nelson's Book, The Western College for Women, the Seminary recognized the need for a new building on the grounds to house a library, labs, and classrooms.

- After an intensive funds drive by the seminary's alumni association, $50,000 was raised to begin the construction of the building.

- Work began on the building in 1890 and Alumnae was dedicated on June  9, 1892.


"The great glory and pride of the new building" (Narka) was the large, circular room at the north end of Alumnae. This room, divided up into 23 alcoves, housed the main Western Library collection until Hoyt was built in 1970.

- The biggest architectural highlight was the Tiffany glass above the front doorway of the building.

In 1893, Tillinghast had the window removed for a exhibit in the Liberal Arts Building at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, where it won a gold medal.

- Following that, the window returned to alumnae hall were it remained untill 1933.

- In 1993, the window was sent to a Worlds Art Fair in Chicago.

- Damaged in transit, it was returned and placed in the basement of Kumler Chapel until 1974, when the crates were moved to Patterson Place.  

Significant Events

- April 7, 1972, Alumnae hall was transformed, mostly by the student body, after 7 months of planning and hard work.

- The new buildings was made to house f
ood service, tv, billiards, ping pong, and meeting centers.

Fun Facts

- After the transformation of the hall by the students, the hall was even home to one pipe smoking contest.

Miss Mary Elizabeth Tillinghast who created the Tiffany window was born in New York in 1845.  Her academic career consisted of studying art in Paris, being educated by private tutors, and studying interior decoration and stained glass design in the studio of John LaFarge.